HOW TO BE INSPIRED WITH BIANCA LUNI, THE CREATOR OF WISF

Tali Lennox by David Slijper for Vanity Fair Spain January 2013 wearing Christian Dior Haute Couture | View from Lipari, Aeolian Islands in Sicily, Italy photographed by Giuseppe Finocchiaro

Lately I got a chance to ask some questions to Bianca Luni who creates the WHERE I SEE FASHION tumblr. Do you know that feeling when you go to a blog or website and you just can not stop scrolling? This is definitely one of those places.
In many books, authors recommend to find the inspiration before the process of creation, but Bianca twisted the whole idea by matching images to already existing pieces. This results in examples of moodboards and it proves that inspiration to create can be taken from anywhere. Some people say that there is a thin line between an inspiration and a copy, but looking at the examples shown in the WISF tumblr, it seems that the line can be distinct and extraordinarily well executed. Bianca teached me a lesson that to be inspired you can not focus on your inspiration as the whole piece. To execute our creations in a better way, we need to focus on the essence of the inspiration. It could be the texture, structure color, shapes, dynamics, mood, but not necessarily all at once. 




Naomi Campbell photographed by Herb Ritts at El Mirage, 1990 | Dream - Spontaneous Combustion by Olaf Brzeski, 2008


1. Traditionally, during the creation process, people first create mood boards with inspirational pictures. After that they create their art/dress/photograph. How did you come up with the idea to do it the other way around?
I'm constantly inspired by the amazing creations of high fashion designers, I probably said this before but I think it's really interesting how we are all inspired by what's around us but each one of us is attracted by different things. This is why I love to try to find out what inspired collections or editorials and show it on my blog!



Kim Noorda for Vogue Paris October 2007 by Mario Sorrenti wearing Nina Ricci | Beach in Iceland

2. Could you try defining the word inspiration in your own words?
I'd say inspiration is something that gives you new ideas and pushes you to create something. I strongly believe that it can be found anywhere!


Alexander McQueen RTW Spring 2011 | Painting by Michele De Agostini

3. I read on your tumblr that you would like to become a fashion photographer or fashion editor in the future. What do you think should be considered to create a great photo? How do you plan to reach your goals?
I honestly don't really know how, what I know is that I will try my best make my dreams come true! The unexpected success of WISF made me realize that anything could happen if you really believe in what you're doing and you are passionate about it. At the moment I am attending a really nice photography course at uni, and this summer I want to attempt in getting an internship in the editorial office of a local fashion magazine after my graduation. This would be a great way to start!

Edie Campbell in “Cinderella Story” by David Sims for Vogue US September 2013 issue wearing Dolce & Gabbana Haute Couture | The Grand Canal in Venice, Italy

4. Could you describe few things you learnt at school which changed your perspective in looking at fashion and fashion photography?
I definitely have learnt a lot more about the huge creative process that there is behind a collection, the inspiration, the shapes and colours, the fabrics, the production.. Not many people not how much work the designers and their team put into what they create! If I was already really into fashion before I started uni, now I am even more passionate about it and I'm proud of it.


Iris Van Herpen Spring 2012 | Old tree bark

5. What should I wish you for the future, where would you like to be in 2 years?
Hopefully working for a high fashion magazine, but who knows! I don't really know what to expect, as I said before I believe that anything could happen. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!


Magdalena Frackowiak for Dazed&Confused February 2010 by John Olins wearing Victor&Rolf | Concrete plasticity by Alexandra Polyakova

Monday 28 July 2014

No comments :

Post a Comment